1 Medium Red Onion
6 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp finely chopped preserved lemon
2 Tsp Chilli Flakes
1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
1/2 Tsp Cumin
1/4 cup (60ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 Cup (60ml) Red Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 x 1.6kg Whole Chickens
Coriander Leaves and Lemon Wedges to Serve
CITRUS COUS COUS
1 Cup (200g) Cous Cous
1 Tsp Butter
2 Green Shallots, sliced thin
1/2 Cup coarsely chopped coriander leaves
1/2 Cup coarsley chopped flat leaf parsley leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 200*C (180*C fan-forced oven). Line a large tray with baking paper.
2. Process the onion, garlic, preserved lemon, chilli, paprika, cumin, oil, vinegar and tomato paste to a smooth paste.
3. Place chicken breast side down on a board. Using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors, cut along both sides of the backbone and remove backbones. Turn chicken over and flatten by pressing down along breastbone with the heel of your hand. Place the chickens on the prepared tray and brush the paste over both sides of the chicken. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Roast chicken for about 50 mins or until cooked through. Cover with foil and stand for 5 mins.
5. Citrus Couscous:
Meanwhile, remove the rind from the orange and lemon with a zester. (Or peel rind thinly avoiding white pith. Cut rind into long thin strips). Place the couscous in a large heatproof bowl with the butter and half the rinds; pour over 1 cup (250 ml) boiling water.Cover the bowl and stand for 10 mins. Using a fork, seperate the grasin of couscous. Cover couscous and stand for a further 5 mins, before stirring in the onions and herbs. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground pepper; sprinkle with remaining rinds.
6. Cut chicken into pieces and serve with citrus couscous; scatter with coriander leaves and serve with lemon wedges.